This training will expose participants to relevant written material, case studies; video footage, lecture and role play scenarios that will better prepare them to respond to individuals suffering from crisis related to Autism; PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorders); TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury); Schizophrenia; Bipolar Disorder and Intellectual Disabilities.
- Increase knowledge and ability to recognize a person experiencing a mental health crisis.
- Enhance verbalization and de-escalation skills in crisis situations.
- Reduce stigma associated with mental illness.
- Revisit collaboration and partnerships between families, consumers, mental health, and law enforcement for effective response and delivery of service.
- Increase access and engagement in services for people with mental illness.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the symptoms of various Mental Health disorders
- Demonstrate effective interaction with a person suffering a mental health crisis
- Demonstrate appropriate de-escalating skills when dealing with a person in a Mental Health crisis
- Make appropriate determination and assessments of the needs of a person suffering a mental health crisis
- Make appropriate referrals, follow-ups and documentation.